Axioma Research Seminar, Q2 2014
Active Managers vs. Passive Products:
How to win the debate...
Asset owners are increasingly questioning the value of active portfolio management: “Why should I pay a premium for an active manager if I might do just as well with a passive product?” Active managers must respond.
Performance, obviously, must be demonstrated. But it is equally vital to tell your back story. What differentiates you as an active manager? How can you map those qualities to your performance to show your process is consistent, repeatable and skill-based? How, in short, can you conclusively demonstrate your value-added? Unfortunately, standard factor-based attribution techniques may not tell the best story or, worse, tell the wrong story.
In this seminar we illustrate:
- How different types of funds require different models of returns in order to tell the best (and most accurate) story.
- Why each fund needs its own customized returns model in order to convey that story.
- How performance attribution based on different customized returns models can tell very different tales.
- How to create a custom returns model to match your investment process.
- How the use of state-of-the-art tools--portfolio analytics and performance attribution tailored to your own process—will compellingly highlight your strengths and value as an active manager.
Dates & Locations:
- Stockholm, The Grand Hotel, April 29, 2014, 8:30-10:30AM
- London, Andaz Liverpool Street Hotel, May 1, 2014, 9:00-11:00AM
- Boston, The Langham Hotel, May 13, 2014, 12:00-2:00PM
- New York, The Princeton Club, May 14, 2014, 12:00-2:00PM
Breakfast will be served in Stockholm and London.
Lunch will be served in Boston and New York.